January 12, 2013

Why We Live Here


I'll tell you the honest truth and some of my blog friends to the north might not like it.  It's been absolutely gorgeous here recently, especially in the evening.  We endure the sultry, humid summers and the possibility of devastating hurricanes for nights like this.  I was driving through Southside Village near downtown Sarasota when I saw these folks sitting outside in short sleeves in January.  They happened to be enjoying happy hour at Legends Sports Pub, which had TVs outside and had all but done away with the windows.  The first time I encountered an open structure similar to this was in Acupulco years ago.   I fell in love with the concept instantly.  I couldn't resist the warm sea breeze...and I still can't.  Now, to answer the question everyone is pondering....no, I did not partake in one of the 30 beers on tap.  Unfortunately, I cannot drink beer.  Otherwise, I would have bellied up and this blog may have suffered the consequences.  Instead, I ventured home and went for a stroll without my camera or a coat.

13 comments:

Oakland Daily Photo said...

One of the great pleasures in life is to dine al fresco at night. Warm weather at night is a dream. Here it is clear but really chilly at night (into the 30s and 40s) with frost warnings. So different from Florida.

Andy said...

You make me wish I were there.

Kate said...

I love the warmer weather, but I am very concerned about the long range effect. This place looks like a great place to visit for one or two beers! PS. I have been out of town, Up North, for a week near the Canadian border without internet or cell phone capability. Very peaceful and serene, but I have not been able to visit any of my blogger friends. It'll take be awhile to read all of your posts to see what I've missed, but it's good to be back!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

I love this concept also SRQ, and as you can imagine its a very popular idea here, you just have to take advantage of the sea breezes in the hot weather..no beer for me either, tastes icky!!

Janet said...

SRQ, You just stated what one of my sons, who recently moved to South Fla., tells me all the time. "It's 80 degrees! I'm still wearing shorts!" While he loves the winter climate, he wishes there was more rural land. He lives on the other side of Fla. from Sarasota though.

Kathy said...

We were almost 70 when I got up this a.m. and are expecting a high of 74 before getting a few more cold days. My daughter in Phoenix woke up to 18 degrees this morning! Wacky weather!

Lorraine said...

We're having a January thaw here up north this weekend. It's actually pretty mild, but it's cloudy with lots of melting dirty snow and mud. I'd rather be where you are, but you already know that. : )

Kay said...

(Sigh) It got down to 22 degrees very early this morning. But wherever you pin your heart and call it home, there's always something. I'm happy to pass on hurricanes and humid summers though I wouldn't mind occasionally being a snow bird.

Jack said...

Well, SRQ, you eloquently explained why this Yankee is spending the winters two hours south of you. Being comfortably outside at 9 p.m. is just amazing.

SFlaGuy said...

There is a lot to not like about living in South Florida but once you factor in the weather, I cant remember what those things might be. And I only had one beer.

Lowell said...

A very nice night shot. It's been very nice in Ocala the past few days, too. I don't think we have any open bars like this, though. When we lived in Pembroke Pines, we'd walk Hollywood Beach in the winter which was jammed with folks from Quebec and at the open bars they'd be singing country songs in French! Great fun.

Unknown said...

I envy you a lot at this time of year!

Anonymous said...

Kate, you wrote: Kate said...
I love the warmer weather, "but I am very concerned about the long range effect".

Kate, the 'long term affect' on the warmer weather.. or too much consumption of great cold drafts?