March 10, 2011

Heron, Party of One

I spotted this great blue heron standing guard near a drainage fence and pipe at the celery fields.  He was very intent on staring at the water, although it didn't seem like the best place for a fishing expedition.     A couple of times, he wandered a few yards away, only to return several minutes later and resume staring at the water once again.  Perhaps he was aware of something I wasn't.   While observing this somewhat agonizing process, I just kept thinking, 'I'm glad I don't have to hunt for my dinner tonight.'

7 comments:

Kathy said...

You seem to have a special knack with birds. Another great photo for you!

Leeds daily photo said...

I guess I too would be intent on what was in the water, if I was feeling hungry and that was where my meal came from. Nice photo.

Gunn said...

Nice image and model :)
(ps. very skinny legs.)

Jim Klenke said...

they always look so cold

Lois said...

They are so interesting to watch!

Halcyon said...

After it rains, we sometimes get pools of water near the road. Sort of like temporary ponds. I often see them "fishing" there as well. I guess there's a reason for the term bird brain. Although herons are one of my favorites! :)

Jack said...

He looks pretty well fed. Probably standing there waiting for a fish to jump up into his bill.