January 7, 2011

Nesting

The other night I was at Ken Thompson Park on Sarasota Bay when I heard a loud flapping sound behind me.  It was this great blue heron landing right next to me.  Since it was almost sunset, I figured it was there to hunt for a nice meal.  And, camera in hand, I was ready to tag along on the hunt!  Slowly, it wandered along the shore.  But, it really didn't appear to be looking for anything.  Then, it snapped up this twig and within seconds it was airborne.  I'm sure she's building a very nice nest.

9 comments:

Lorraine said...

Wow, you caught that great shot just in time before she flew off. Yesterday I had a great photo op, but alas, no camera. I should start carrying one with me all the time.

Birdman said...

You capture such neat wildlife shots.

Lowell said...

A very fine photo! You were ready 'cause I know how fast they can fly off!

Dr. Moxie Awesome said...

I was able to capture some really great heron pictures down by Sarasota Bay near Van Wezel lately.

This is a great photo.

Halcyon said...

A fantastic portrait. She is a realy beauty!

Jack said...

That is a nice one. She doesn't show signs of flying away.

Louis la Vache said...

The masthead photo is spectacular.

James Mark said...

Jealous of this experience! What a treat!

Kathy said...

I think this is one for your portfolio!