May 15, 2012

Grey Catbird

Gray Catbird
While walking through Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary, I was delighted by the constant sounds filling the air: chirping, buzzing, whistling, cawing, pecking. It was a feast for a nature lover's ears.  (At the time I couldn't help but wonder if some of those soothing CDs with sounds of the rainforest are recorded here.)  One distinctive bird call I heard was emanating from a grey catbird.  It sounds similar to a cat meow. But, they're elusive!  They like to hide in thick shrub and trying to get a decent photo was a challenge. Fortunately, this guy showed himself because he was interested in nibbling on those berries.  I had just enough time to snap one decent shot. Such a loud, pathetic call coming from such a little bird!  This was another bird I'd never seen before.  But, I knew exactly what it was as soon as I heard that telltale meow...er...call.  See why this place is such a treasure?!

3 comments:

Lorraine said...

I think we have one of these birds living in our hedge of bamboo. I'm enjoying this series of photos very much. Hubby and I spent this past weekend at home enjoying our yard. We have many birdhouses up and they're all occupied with busy birds. And so much singing! It's glorious!

Deb said...

Corkscrew swamp sound like a wonderful place, you just can't beat bird song in spring. Really enjoying the pics.

Kathy said...

This is a great photo! Love the shallow depth of field.