May 6, 2012

The Garabage-Men

SDP 5-6-12
Meet the Garbage-Men!  They're a group of ingenious young guys in Sarasota who came up with the idea of making musical instruments using recycled items.  For example, one guitar is a cardboard Froot Loops box with a yardstick and some kind of string and the other guitar body is made from a Captain Crunch box.  The drums are comprised of garbage cans and lids. Somehow they've engineered the instruments so they can be amplified.  I started hearing about the band a year or so ago -- and they're a hit! If you go to the Farmers Market downtown you'll see them.  I saw them playing before an Orioles spring training game and this photo was taken last autumn during the Chalk Festival. Their music is fun and recognizable.  I've heard them play The Beatles, Led Zepplin etc.  They sound good.  And, now they're going national!  Turns out one of my neighbors is the aunt of one of the Garbage-Men.  She announced that the guys will be live on NPR's "Talk of the Nation Sci-Fri" this Friday (May 11th) from 2-4 p.m. (I believe EST)  Tune in and check 'em out.  Or  visit their website to see some of their performances.

6 comments:

Leslie D. said...

Oh yeah love this. Wish I heard the NPR thing. Reclaimed sound..go Garbage Men!

Kathy said...

Good for them. I hope they get a gold record!

Lorraine said...

I am now a HUGE FAN!!! They are awesome!!!!!!! Thank you for sharing that!

Heidi said...

The NPR hasn't happened yet - it's Friday, May 11 in the 2PM hour.

Michelle said...

Wonderful!!! That is some true talent when you can make music with trash!

Ernie said...

I think they're supposed to be at Tropical Heatwave in Ybor this Saturday. I'm going for The Vodkanauts, but I'll check these guys out.