May 16, 2012

Cardinal Couple

Cardinal
Earlier on our tour of Corkscrew Swamp Santuary, I mentioned there are two locations where bird feeders are placed. One is next to the visitor center and the other one is near the pine flatwoods which attracts beautiful cardinals. This is the male with that gorgeous brilliant red. He was hopping on the ground pecking on seed which had fallen. He didn't seem to mind being out and about. His mate, though, was quite skittish.
Cardinal
She popped out of the brush and darted back in repeatedly. She's a nervous little thing, but quite pretty.  I really like the red-orange accents on her wings, tail, and beak.  And, who can resist that cute little red spiked hair?   Although I grew up with cardinals in my neighborhood and my high school mascot was the cardinal, I found this couple to be particularly charming.  It was one of the rare times I've seen a male so close and the first time I've really gotten a good look at a female.  Love this place!

3 comments:

cieldequimper said...

Gorgeous!

Lorraine said...

Cardinals are my favorite. I guess we're lucky because we have many happy couples living around us and they visit our feeder in the early evening.

Jack said...

Cardinals are a very common bird up here in Connecticut as well as pretty common down in FM. I never feed them. They gotta fend for themselves!