December 13, 2011

Rowing into Christmas

SDP  12-13-11
Row, row, row...and, ho ho ho! This Christmas display of scullers rowing presents to their destination, while very cool by itself, probably is better understood and appreciated with a little backstory. It's located at a retail area created by Benderson Development. (On the same retention pond where I showed you this sailboat with gifts.)  Across the road is a relatively new park called Nathan Benderson Park, which has been hosting popular rowing events.  Sarasota County recently agreed to invest $19.5 million in tourism funds to help transform the park into a world class rowing venue for tournaments.   Row, row, row!

10 comments:

cieldequimper said...

Fantastic reflections!

Lorraine said...

I can't wait to spend Christmas in Florida. So much cool stuff to see!

Kathy said...

What a spectacular display!

Karl said...

Impressive!

Jim Klenke said...

I have to say all the decorations would work on me. I would go there to shop and see the lights.

Lowell said...

Great colors and reflections. I would never have guessed rowing is such a big deal in your area, but I do remember a post on another blog that referenced college scullers on a river near Tampa. So what do I know? Not much!

Leslie D. said...

That is so cool! I love the imagination people put forth at Christmas

Ernie said...

You didn't mention that it's animated! That was a surprise when I drove by last night.

Kerri Farley said...

Fantastic! Love this!

Gunn said...

Unique and very pretty!
A real WOOOOOOW effect!

Gunn
Stavangerdailyphoto.com