May 7, 2014

4 Years Old

Downtown Sarasota

At my day job, we recognize employees when they hit a five year employment milestone.  So, whilst attending one of these celebrations recently, I started thinking that longevity is really becoming less common -- for many things.  I read that the average existence of a blog is two years.  Thus, I'm proud to announce the SDP longevity is twice that!  We're  4 years old today.

As I was standing in downtown contemplating what I would post for the big four year anniversary, I realized I was surrounded by quite a bit of change.  The building featured has changed hands three times since SDP started…and now it's about to reopen as a running store.  This intersection was one of the oddest and most dysfunctional crossroads (for motorists and pedestrians alike) that I had ever encountered, with five streets intersecting with one little traffic signal dangling overhead.  A few years ago, the traffic light was removed and this roundabout was put in its place -- a roundabout that many people said wouldn't work…that drivers would be too confused.  Just the opposite happened.  Residents love this roundabout and, believe it or not, a dozen (yes, 12) roundabouts are planned around the city over the next several years.  Throughout these changes, SDP has plodded along.  Despite the Computer Crash of 2012 (and the subsequent painstaking resurrection of an our complete photo library), the entire SDP staff is doing well.  (Occasionally, though, threats of a walkout arise due to creative differences and/or the lack of purchasing approvals, but fortunately, as Editor-in-Chief somehow I'm always able to employ my diplomatic skills and smooth the ruffled feathers.)  While I'm not able to spend as much time blogging as I'd like right now, I find myself missing my friends in the CDP blogosphere and returning when I can.  The past four years with SDP has been great and I look forward to many more anniversaries.  

7 comments:

Lorraine said...

Congratulations on 4 wonderful years! I've always enjoyed your photos and comments and I look forward to more. May marks my 4th year of blogging as well. Happy anniversary!

Jack said...

Well, today is a BIG day in the blogosphere. Hurray! Hurray! Hurray! I always enjoy seeing what you have shown about Sarasota. I worried my way through the big computer crash (and I began taking backup far more seriously on my blog). You have a fine staff. We in the CDP community are indebted to all of them for their efforts in operating this fine blog. More!

cieldequimper said...

Happy birthday! VDP has been at it for almost 5 1/2 years now with very little interruptions, I know how hard it can be at times!

Lovely view btw!

Karl said...

Congratulations!!!
4 years are a long time.

Lowell said...

Congrats! It ain't easy keeping up a blog - especially if one is still working a regular (or irregular) job! :)

We've got some roundabouts in Ocala which work fairly well. The Villages has tons of them and I'm not a fan but they probably do keep traffic moving.

Keep on keeping on!

Kay said...

Congratulations! Four years is a long time to stay committed to blogging. Like Jack,I took your Great Computer Crash of '12 seriously and the moment my formerly trusty external drive flunked it's reliability test it was replaced by two new ones. And scheduled backups. If it's any compensation, your horror was shared and served as a wakeup call to others.

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

Happy fourth birthday! Enjoyed a quick peruse of your blog. There used to be a time when it took five years in a job just to get started.