April 6, 2014

Wild Boar


This is the family of wild boar I spotted at Myakka State Park Friday night and mentioned to a birding couple (who in turn tipped me off to the awesome family of barred owls). Usually, the boar are off the beaten path, deep in the woods rooting around in thick palmettos or tall grass, so they're not easy to see. Rarely do they lift their heads from their foraging, which makes it challenging for us wildlife photographers to get a snout shot.  (See post about the SDP Editor-in-Chief's 2013 "Snout Edict" here.) So, I was surprised to see this family in the open right off the main road in the park.  (The little off white blob left of center is a baby boar.)  They were at least 75-100 yards away and as noisy as can be...ripping, chomping and snorting at the ground. The distance was good for safety but not so good for executing that perfect snout shot.  One of these days, I'll capture it.  

4 comments:

Kay said...

These critters are not beloved by wildlife managers..that foraging behavior can be so destructive. But I do hope you can get the fabled snout shot...and perhaps a beauty portrait of the little guy, too.

Lois said...

I wouldn't have gotten any closer than that either, even for a snout shot! I like seeing the baby.

Michelle said...

I am not sure I would get any closer!

Lowell said...

Yikes! I think I'd be more fearful of these things than a sleepy alligator! I've never seen them up this away, so I think you got a fantastic shot!