April 25, 2014

Sarasota Keys

Sarasota Keys

What would you think if you saw a piano placed on a sidewalk inviting you play? Would you sit down and tickle the ivories? Wait for someone else to play? A group sponsoring a community initiative known as Sarasota Keys received approval recently to place six pianos throughout downtown Sarasota with the idea that the musical instruments would encourage pedestrian engagement in an area already well known for its cultural arts.  This piano is located outside Whole Foods and, as you can see, it's been painted with colorful designs, as are the other five pianos.  I've been wanting to get a photo of someone playing one, so when I spotted this guy, Dave, poking at the keys as I was leaving the grocery store, I jumped on my chance. Fortunately, like any self respecting photo blogger, I had my camera with me and snapped a quick shot.  For those wondering, the pianos, which are spinets and are a little smaller than a traditional piano, are wheeled inside every evening.  

8 comments:

Nancy J said...

Wonderful, camera and you, at the right moment, and a super idea for local people to try their hand at the ivories. I'm sure everyone is well entertained. Cheers, Jean.

Andy said...

Nice photo. They did same thing in Toronto. Ontario a couple of years back. I didn't have your luck... I found out about it after the fact.

Michelle said...

I have seen this concept on Youtube and always love to watch people just sit down and play.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

This seems to be a bit of a thing these days SRQ.. there are a few around Perth in the most unlikely of places and I even saw one in Sydney when I was there a few weeks ago.

Kay said...

Nice idea. Impromptu concerts are always a treat.

Jack said...

I have read about this phenomenon elsewhere, but I have not come across one in person. It must be fun to see. My camera is ready!

Kate said...

St. Paul has had these wonderful sidewalk temptations for two summers, and what a thrill it is to see people enjoying themselves as they play. Our are covered with canvas and decorated by local artists.

Kathy said...

What a fantastic idea. And the piano player looks like he belongs to that piano. Before reading the caption I just assumed he was a street musician. Love the decorative artwork on it.