October 1, 2012

Clowning Around


SDP 10-1-12
Smithsonian Magazine sponsored Museum Day throughout the country on Saturday with more than 1,400 museums offering free admission, including the John & Mable Ringling Museum of Art in Sarasota.  The place was packed!  As I've mentioned before, John Ringling and his four brothers created the world famous Ringling Bros. Circus, and Sarasota was the winter home for the entire circus -- performers, animals, owners and all.  The Ringling Museum has always been known for its beautiful grounds located right on Sarasota Bay, the Ca'd'zan (the Ringlings' mansion which is now featured on the SDP banner) and Ringling's extensive classic art collection.  Within the past couple of years, though, two new buildings opened highlighting the history of the circus.   This was my first time into the circus area and it was fun.  It's well done with lots of history -- plus visitors have the opportunity to learn the secret of how clowns apply their make-up so perfectly.  Lots of interesting stuff to see. Over the next few days we'll explore the museum and grounds a little more.  See you tomorrow!

6 comments:

Kathy said...

This looks like a fun series!

Michelle said...

Sounds like a cool museum!

Jack said...

This will be interesting. Ringling is a bid deal in Sarasota. I will enjoy seeing more about it in this series.

Lois said...

The entire Ringling complex including the FSU/Asolo Conservatory for Actor Training are wonderful! I know quite a few of the people who work there because it is part of the Florida State University College of Visual Arts, Theatre and Dance which is where I worked before I retired. I haven't visited there recently, but am hoping to go back soon. I love your banner shot!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

I love the angle on the banner shot also SRQ, fabulous looking mansion. Gorgeous colorful image, it's amazing how many people are totally freaked out by clowns, I think Stephen King has a lot to answer for haha!

Unknown said...

I absolutely LOVE the Ringling Museum and Ca'd'zan - I've got to get down to see the new circus exhibits. I, too, think your banner photo is just wonderful.

City Daily Photo is limping along using our Facebook group. So go join that and you will see the voting for theme days, and you can post there daily.