September 25, 2012

Playful Heron

SDP 9-25-12 a
When it started raining quite hard at Myakka State Park, I was surprised to see this great blue heron standing in the parking lot getting soaked.  Then, things got really interesting when he started dancing. Yep, dancing in the rain! 
SDP 9-25-12 c
This bird hopped, jumped, flapped its wings and pretty much let its guard down and just had fun in the downpour.  I was tucked inside my car and couldn't believe what I seeing.  What a goofy bird! But, when he finished dancing he wasn't done having fun. 
SDP 9-25-12 c
He found this stick and starting playing with it...tossing it up and down.  When I mentioned the bird to a park ranger he immediately knew who I was talking about and where he was located in the park. Apparently, this great blue heron has quite a reputation for silly behavior.

6 comments:

Kathy said...

That is so funny! Aren't you glad you got to witness this ritual!

Lorraine said...

Oh my gosh! That's so CUTE!! How great that you were able to capture it all. Maybe he is a reincarnated spirit of someone who loved to have fun in the rain. Ya never know!

Unknown said...

How lucky are you? I am envious! These birds are so gorgeous and amazing - and elusive, in my neck of the woods! These are wonderful photographs and your accompanying descriptions make me giggle. :)

Jack said...

That must have been quite a sight, SRQ. Does your camera shoot video? Would have been worth teaching yourself right on the spot!

Michelle said...

What a cool bird! I see them in ponds, but never with playful behavior!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

He put on quite the show for you SRQ, talk about being in the right place at the right time, lucky you!