May 23, 2011

Disc Golf Tourney

SDP  5-23-11
I heard there was a disc golf tournament over the weekend at Water Tower Park, where there's been a course for 10+ years, so I thought it would be fun to see what it was all about.  I didn't know what to expect, but quickly discovered it was a serious tournament.  This is 16-year-old Cameron Lincoln letting a disc fly.  Does he look like a competitor or what?
SDP  5-23-11
Bryan Moore, here at the 17th basket, was kind enough to give me a brief tutorial on disc golf.   It's similar in concept to golf, but rather than hitting a ball into a hole, you toss a disc (similar to a frisbee) into a basket. Like golf, the fewer the strokes, the better.  Each basket has a par and there are course hazards.  Actually, the entire course seemed like one big hazard to me, since it's cut through thick trees and palmettos.  It was impressive to see the players navigate their way around. By the way, I believe Bryan was one of the top finishers. 
SDP  5-23-11
And, this is David Montean III, who travelled down from Tallahassee for the tournament.  It was part of a series with the Professional Disc Golf Association and about 70 players participated. I find niche sports like this so interesting. And, from what I'm told, disc golf is gaining in popularity.

8 comments:

cieldequimper said...

Excellent action shots. I didn't know there were "frisbee" tournaments!

Book said...

Fantastic photo and caption. Bravo!

Jim Klenke said...

A professional league? COOL. Great shots of the action.

Kathy said...

Really crisp, sharp photos - and full of color. Good job!

Jack said...

Well, you are ahead of me, SRQ. I have heard about disc golf but have never actually seen it. Nice shots.

Lois said...

How fun! There is a place to play disc golf here too, but I have never seen anyone playing.

Birdman said...

Blogger Birdman said...

NEVER understood the fascination with these disks... so don't get me going about a game of golf w/ them. hahaha

Michelle said...

I have some type of disability in that I cannot throw a frisbee/disc straight. Nice action shots though!