May 28, 2011

Best in the Nation

SDP  5-28-11You're looking at the best beach in the United States -- Siesta Key Beach! Every year, a researcher known as Dr. Beach, ranks beaches based on 50 criteria including water quality, amenities, weather, and crowds. Siesta Key Beach has ranked #2 the past couple of years, but this year it moved into the top spot beating out locations in California, Hawaii, North Carolina and elsewhere. Now that Siesta Key made it to #1, it will not be included in future rankings (which is kind of a drag, but it will always be promoted as a #1 beach). Read more about it here.

In other news...a tip of the hat to the Tampa Bay Lightning. Even though they lost in game #7 of the playoffs last night 1-0 and they're not advancing to the Stanley Cup Finals --- what a game! They left it all on the ice, including Steve Stamkos who left a bit of his face, after taking a puck directly to the nose --- and returned to finish the game. Amazing!

8 comments:

Farmchick said...

This photo is perfection to me! My parents live in the Destin area and the kids and I spend time there each summer. I adore it and cannot wait for this summer's trip!

Holly said...

I was so happy to wake up to the news that we made #1 beach yesterday! Great blog..love seeing your photos of the area.

Lorraine said...

SRQ, you are so lucky to live in such a beautiful area that offers so much including this gorgeous beach! We at clamco are headed to the Tampa area this summer to check out more art schools. Can't wait! Thanks for this bright photo!

Lois said...

I love that beach! I used to go there all the time when I lived in Sarasota many years ago. One of the other top 10 beaches is St. George Island State Park (#6) and is not far from me.

Kathy said...

White sand beach and crystal blue water, it deserves its No. 1 ranking!

cieldequimper said...

May I be jealous? This looks soooooo much like my summer holidays in Brittany where a lot of beaches get first rate ranking too! Gorgeous.

Jack said...

SRQ, yesterday I heard about Sarasota's beach being named #1 on NPR. Congratulations! Whoever does Sarasota's public information work should trumpet the news!!!

I watched the hockey game last night. It was one of the best I have seen. I grew up in Boston so I was rooting for the Bruins, but Tampa Bay was playing so well, too, that I would have been less disappointed if TB won. Stamkos was amazingly tough, wasn't he?

tinyskillet said...

I know, we've been #2 for the last couple of years and I heard we finally moved up to #1 beach in the nation! I was going to post a picture of Siesta beach too. How nice that it is so close!

Last nights game was a heart breaker...my husband was able to go to Wed game, he had fun then. But how disappointing, but they played their hearts out! Were good sports too!