August 12, 2010

Rubens at Ringling

When it was raining interminably last weekend, I spent an afternoon enjoying the Ringling Museum of Art, one of Sarasota's true treasures.  These pieces, painted by Peter Paul Rubens in 1625, are on display in the museum's first gallery.  Talk about an entrance!  With the two people (a teenager and an adult) standing in the lower left hand corner, you can get some perspective on the sheer size of the paintings.  The museum was built by circus magnate John Ringling in 1931 to house his extensive art collection.  I'm told what's on a display is just a fraction of what the museum owns.  

10 comments:

T. Becque said...

That looks like a great place to visit. Those walls are impressive.

B SQUARED said...

I've seen it and it is magnificent.

EG CameraGirl said...

I'd like to see this in person.

Hilda said...

Oh wow, they're huge! Looks like a fantastic place to visit!

tinyskillet said...

It was a good day to go to the art museum! It takes a long time to see everything!

Leslie D. said...

Very impressive! I'm sort of surprised they let you take photos in there but I'm glad you got them to share..

Lowell said...

I want to visit this asap. Gorgeous shot. Did they let you take that pic or were you a typical sneaky City Daily Photo blogger? ;-))

SRQ said...

I followed the rules. I don't want to be banned from such a wonderful place! Here's the skinny: Photos are allowed of the permanent exhibits -- without flash. (Probably because it's a state owned museum.) No photos allowed of the traveling exhibits. I hope you make it here soon, Jacob!

Rajesh said...

Wow! terrific paintings.

Kathy said...

Wow! Never dreamed Reubens' work was so large.