September 11, 2011

Always Remember 9-11-01

SDP  9-11-11

Sarasota always will be closely connected to September 11th, since President Bush was visiting an elementary school here when he was informed about the terrorist attacks. I wrote a long entry for this post several days ago and inadvertently deleted it. I really don't have the energy to re-compose my thoughts and feelings about that horrible day, and where I was and what I was doing. So, instead, I will post a question: How are you remembering September 11, 2001? I'm heading to a memorial event this morning, American flags and tissue in hand. God bless America.

About this photo: I actually snapped this picture last January when the American flag was at half-staff in Sarasota to honor a fire chief from a neighboring city who passed away. When I saw the jet soaring through the crisp blue sky, which was so reminiscent of the sky on September 11th, I knew exactly what my post would be for the 10 year anniversary.

7 comments:

Lorraine said...

I shamefully admit that I change the channel everytime the subject comes up. I really don't want to face it again. But my husband wants our daughter to watch a History Channel special on it, so we're recording it to watch later today. She was only 6 years old back then and we shielded her from the news because we didn't want her to be scared. I had just dropped her off at preschool when I heard about it on the car radio. I went home and spent the rest of the day in front of the TV crying.

Jim Klenke said...

Its a beautiful picture. Todays going to be a tough day.

Birdman said...

Very symbolic take on the day.

Lois said...

That is a beautiful picture and a perfect tribute.

Anonymous said...

We Will Never Forget ~ 09.11.2001, may God bless us as we heal from this American tragedy.

Genie -- Paris and Beyond said...

I have spent two hours talking to an 8-yr-old and a 10-yr-old about the events of that day, how we felt. We talked about the heroes, the terrorists, and why do we have wars. We watched the ceremonies on TV of Shanksville, NYC, and Washington DC.

Jack said...

Wonderful photograph and excellent post, SRQ.