July 25, 2011

Creepy Crabs

SDP  7-25-11
I was strolling along the beach yesterday looking for seabirds to shoot (with my camera, of course), when I heard leaves rustling as I walked by a tree. Correction: I thought it was the sound of leaves rustling. Much to my surprise, the sound was coming from hundreds (if not thousands) of little crabs as they scurried over the sand and seaweed away from my feet. To see that many crabs, scooting sideways --- some of them with their itty bitty claws defensively positioned in front of their little eyes --- is a little creepy. They were still at it when I walked by on my return trip: whooosh....whoosh. ((creepy))

8 comments:

Lorraine said...

My daughter saw her first crab when we were at Lido Key beach last summer. She was so excited, she must have taken at least a dozen pictures of it. I think, however, if she saw that many, she would have run away screaming (with me right behind her!) EEEK!

Dina said...

Funny to see all those little pink spots running around. I think I would have been creeped out as well. Great catch.

Kathy said...

You're lucky some of them didn't latch onto your little toesies!

Jack said...

This IS eerie. We have become so detached from our food that we read "crab" and we think of plates. Not real little critters scurrying around on the sand.

Reena said...

that was weird
why were they all gathered together?

Michelle said...

They are so cute! I love seeing little crabs at the beach.

Pedro D. H. said...

crabs moves funny, and also have a good taste :P

Ernie said...

Fiddler crabs. They're more scared of you than you are of them. :)