November 22, 2010

Start 'Em Young

I met 2-year-old Eliyah Keller at the Sarasota Naturally street fair.   He was sporting a t-shirt that said, 'Be green. It's cool!'  Start 'em young.  Growing up in the '70's during the energy crisis and inflation, I was taught  when you left a room you turned off the lights...and fans...and radios...and TVs.   You never left the refrigerator door open.  And, living in Michigan, we always turned the heat down when we left the house.  It was all about saving money.  Amazing how behavior like that sticks with you.  Years later, I still follow those rules. 

7 comments:

B SQUARED said...

Being part of the same generation, I do exactly the same thing. Funny, however, I don't see the "enlightened generation" conserving.

Lowell said...

Good for you! A long journey always starts with a single step...the trouble is so many folks, living in some kind of ideological dreamland, don't even see a problem.

Re your comment on Ocala: I bought a Canon S95 (the best p&s I've ever had) which I carry around sometimes...it has a fisheye effect...works pretty good.

Lois said...

I do that too! What a cute little fellow.

Its Time to Live said...

Just passing through but stopping to comment on your blog. I like it, especially the Sandhill Crane down a few posts. Thanks.

Leslie D. said...

Neat! Yes I grew up during the same time -- except for us it was about saving on the energy bill not the world's resources! Maybe we were just living in a bubble..

Birdman said...

I do remember many of our 'unique' house rules too.

tinyskillet said...

I hope he's wearing cloth diapers! :D

I was brought up the same way. Now my daughter is doing the same. I don't like to waste food either.