October 13, 2010

Watery Wednesday: Celery Fields II

Usually, I don't post back-to-back photos on the same subject.  But, I'm making an exception!  I returned to the celery fields last night and enjoyed watching and listening to many sandhill cranes.  In response to a few queries about the name:  the celery fields, I've discovered, are so named because celery was grown in the area dating back to the mid-1920s.  From what I understand, socialite/pioneer Bertha Palmer first planted celery here.  It just so happens, the celery fields are located off Palmer Road.  (As a side note, Bertha was such an influential pioneer, this year has been declared the Bertha Palmer Centennial in Sarasota County, marking 100 years since she moved from Chicago to Sarasota.)  So, the old celery fields are now a watershed -- and the Sarasota Audubon Society has big plans for the area.  It seems everyone is in agreement the fields are a treasure and need to be preserved. 

8 comments:

Lorraine said...

How lovely! Thank you for the explanation and for this wonderful photo! I could stare at it all day. BTW, do you sell any of your work?

Birdman said...

These last two images are wonderful. What a name too.

B SQUARED said...

I am in agreement with those who agree.

Halcyon said...

I am glad you went back. Beautiful shots!

Lois said...

This is a great picture, especially with the reflections. Interesting information about Bertha Palmer too. Last year I stayed at the Palmer House in Chicago and learned all about Bertha and her husband. I had no idea she also had a history in Sarasota.

Lowell said...

Thanks for the interesting info and beautiful photo...the light is so nice!

I wonder if you grew celery and then became famous if you'd be called a celerity?

Joy said...

Love the gold, the blue and the reflection. Great shot.

Many thanks for visiting Norwich Daily Photo and leaving your comment. Come visit again tomorrow!

Charles Rinehart said...

Excellent photo. I just visited this area for the first time. Lots of birds. I'll be back often. Take care.