October 12, 2010

Celery Fields

I was thrilled to find this place last night after looking for it off and on for months.  It's known as the celery fields and it's a haven for birds in eastern Sarasota County.   Not only was the sunset gorgeous, the birds were spectacular.    While I was setting up my tripod (I also was thrilled it was stashed in my car), sandhill cranes and geese glided silently 25-feet right over my head before landing.  This is the spot I was referring to a couple of days ago when I mentioned that the Audubon Society is hoping to turn into a park for ornithologists.    

11 comments:

Pat said...

That's a beautiful shot. Glad you had your tripod!

Lorraine said...

It looks so quiet and peaceful there. Why is it called the celery fields? Now that you've found this place, I hope you'll be going back for more photos.

Kathy said...

This is absolutely beautiful. It should be on a travel poster for Sarasota. The pink and the orange of the setting sun just permeates the water and gives it such a beautiful glow. I'm with Clamco. Go back for more and please share them with us.

Genie -- Paris and Beyond said...

Tripod in the car -- Yes, that's where I need to keep one of mine because you never know when you might need it. So glad that you were able to capture this beautiful, active site. Just lovely and I am hungry for more!

B SQUARED said...

I'm heading up to Canada in a few minutes in search of those very same birds.

Lowell said...

That place is a treasure and this photo is splendiforous and I hope you'll show us many more shots from here in the future.

I wonder too about the name, celery fields?

Lois said...

What a gorgeous picture! I would love to visit this place. You caught the light perfectly.

Leslie D. said...

Great photo! Love it when all the elements come together for an instant of magic.

cieldequimper said...

Marvellous photo.

James Mark said...

Speechless!

Dina said...

Great shot! I've got to get there soon. I've heard a lot about it. Sounds like you give it a thumbs up.