October 3, 2010

Sarasota 5000

The second annual Sarasota 5000 rowing event was held yesterday at Blackburn Point on the intercoastal.  90 boats, with teams primarily from Florida, participated in what's called head races.  Each boat, whether it's a one-person or 8, rows 5,000 meters (approximately 3 miles) against a clock.  Rowing is gaining in popularity in Sarasota and it was fun to see everyone, from middle schoolers to masters, on the water.  I'd like to give a big thank you to Tony V. who literally was pulling away from the dock on his boat and stopped to take me out so I could get this shot...and a few others.

7 comments:

Janice said...

That looks like a hard workout!!

tinyskillet said...

I always wanted to watch the rowers. Great shot! I know we are going to run into each other one of these days! Or maybe we already have, but never knew it!

Life Is A Road Trip said...

These rowers must be very fit. I don't think I would last but a few minutes.

Leslie D. said...

Very nice guy who invited you on board..made all the difference with getting bird's eye view like this great shot

Randy said...

Nice action shot!

Jim Klenke said...

I used to see people rowing on the lake in Austin, TX years ago. They always looked like they were gliding on the water, effortless.

Joy said...

That's perfect timing! Feeling the energy.

Many thanks for visiting Norwich Daily Photo and leaving your comment. Come visit again tomorrow!