June 3, 2010

Tarballs? What Tarballs!

It was prognosticated that tarballs from the oil leak in the Gulf of Mexico would be washing ashore by now here in SRQ.  Fortunately, still not a drop of oil has appeared on any beaches in the State of Florida.  I pray it remains that way and that the leak can be stopped sooner than later.  In the meantime, this is one of my favorite places in Sarasota.  It's the Ringling Causeway Park overlooking Sarasota Bay toward the city.  It's just minutes from downtown but feels like a little getaway.  

5 comments:

B SQUARED said...

This is rapidly becoming an ecological "Chernobyl." What is happening in Louisiana is a tragedy. The truth is not being told. If it does get here, it will be a disaster.

Unknown said...

It's awful what's going on there but I'm glad Florida beaches are oil free so far.

T. Becque said...

I keep thinking of your posts whenever I hear the news talking about the oil spread. I hope you continue to be oil free. I don't hold much hope in the leak being stopped soon. The incompetency in this matter is astounding -sorry, this type of thing gets to me :)

SRQ said...

Oh, it gets to me too! I'm sick for Louisiana. Tourists are being scared away from Florida and we haven't had a drop of oil here yet. So many industries are being decimated: tourism, commercial fishing, sport fishing, boating, diving....the list goes on and on. And, then, of course there are all the sensitive ecosystems above and underwater. I'm a scuba diver and I cannot imagine what the coral reefs will look like.

Lois said...

I am just heartbroken over this situation. I can't even look at the pictures of the poor birds struggling as they are covered in oil. It looks like the oil might be closing in on Pensacola Beach soon. It's devastating!