June 26, 2010

Ringling Art

This is a piece of unnamed art on display in a vacant lot adjacent to the Ringling School of Art and Design in Sarasota.  An abandoned gas station used to be on the lot.   The school purchased the property, razed the structure and now allows art installations by students.  There are about a half a dozen interesting displays on the lot, which sits along a major roadway, so they have a large audience.  Ringling is a prestigious art school and many graduates from the animation program end up working for Pixar on cool films like "Toy Story".  

5 comments:

James Mark said...

The contrasting colours and the veins int he stone are great, but I'm not surprised it's unnamed. I wonder what the red material is.

Joy said...

It is interesting! I'd probably stand there for a few minutes and think about this piece and what it's trying to convey.

Thanks for visiting Norwich Daily Photo and leaving your comment. Come visit again. Have a fab weekend!

Clueless in Boston said...

I couldn't think of a name for it either, which is not surprising since I couldn't call it art either:)

T. Becque said...

I like the orange peeking through. And I love Pixar movies!

Leslie D. said...

it seems to me it should be named "Ringling" for obvious reasons.