June 5, 2010

Baby Shark

This baby lemon shark was caught by a fisherman who was wading in about 3-feet of water in Sarasota Bay near downtown.  To avoid predators, like ospreys and hawks, baby lemon sharks hide in mangroves.    So, I wasn't too surprised when this one was hooked, since there are mangroves nearby.  It was about 8-inches long and if you look closely you can see razor sharp teeth already protruding.  After a few photo opps. the shark was safely released back into the bay.  Swim Sharky swim!

6 comments:

Lois said...

He's cute now, but I wouldn't want to meet up with him in a few years!

gogouci said...

Cute until he starts to cut adult sized teeth.

Clueless in Boston said...

He just looks small, not cute. I wouldn't put my fingers near his mouth.

Janet said...

Ouch!

T. Becque said...

He is cute, and I'm glad they released him :)

Leslie D. said...

Freaky up close and thanks for the happy ending!