June 25, 2010

Cat Tale

Sometimes the story behind the photo is as interesting as the picture itself -- or more so.  Driving home from work last night, I stopped at Rosemary Court to snap a few shots.  (After posting this photo recently, a few kind souls requested more pics of the area.)  The sunlight was conducive so I set out, Canon in hand, clickety-clacking along the worn brick pathway. Trying to capture the sunshine glimmering on some nearby azaleas, I crouched low then shimmied near a concrete wall.  That's when I heard the rustling of a thick black snake slithering over dried leaves and grass about three inches from me.   Since I was almost at eye level with it, I got a really good (albeit quick) look.  And,  being the non-reptile loving person that I am, I nearly tumbled out of my Etienne Aigner sling backs leaping to my feet.  Spinning around, I found myself face to face with a yellow-eyed black cat which had materialized from the shadows of a palm tree and desperately wanted to make friends in the 90 degree heat.  What could I do...but memorialize the moment (especially when the feline flopped down and posed for me).  Turns out this one (unnamed) is the friendliest of the three black cats which have called Rosemary Court home for quite some time.  The groundskeeper says the snakes (yes, plural!) appeared recently.  Duly noted for my next photo shoot there.

10 comments:

Leslie D. said...

Ha! That's almost uncanny because yesterday I was walking around town past an old hotel with lots of flower gardens and two black kittens were playing in the ferns. Of course I had to take a photo. Some cat synchronicity going on here!

James Mark said...

Great pose! Great composition!

B SQUARED said...

You are getting very good at this story telling. Can't wait for the next chapter.

Jim Klenke said...

nice looking cat, maybe the cats help keep the snakes away.....its a though...

Lois said...

Cute story! That cat has beautiful eyes. I've seen a few more snakes in my yard this year than I like. In fact, one tried really hard to get in my glass door one day. Just about drove my cat crazy!

Unknown said...

Cool story be careful of the snakes...nice shoes by the way.

T. Becque said...

Funny! I would have leapt out of my shoes too especially since ours are of the poisonous variety. Like how the cats eyes glow and draw you in.

gogouci said...

What great mysterious eyes. Not crazy about snakes myself.

Kathy said...

Great story. Lovely picture.

Clueless in Boston said...

Beautiful eyes on the cat. With the snakes and cats at Rosemary Court small rodents don't stand a chance.