June 20, 2010

Save Our Seabirds



If you love wildlife, particularly birds, you should know about a non-profit organization in Sarasota called Save Our Seabirds.   They have a rehabilitation center and hospital where trained volunteers do amazing work.  The facility is open to the public, and that's where I saw this Sandhill Crane yesterday.   Its leg was injured, and the rescue team worked with a prosthesis designer to fit it with an artificial limb.   He looked like he was getting around quite well with it.  There are a couple other Sandhill Cranes at the rehab center with prostheses.  You can read all about the Sandhill Crane prosthesis project in this interesting article.  It's so heartwarming to know there are people doing such incredible volunteer work. 

6 comments:

Holly Diane said...

I had just recently read about this place and now must go for sure!

Unknown said...

Excellent organization and people. A good thing in Sarasota

T. Becque said...

That's nice and good to hear. Will they be helping with any of the oil victims?

SRQ said...

Yep. SOS is one of the primary responders.

Joy said...

Aaaww, I'd support them if I were there! Those poor creatures. I do wish the org all the best and I hope people will rally around them.

Thanks for visiting Norwich Daily Photo and leaving your comment. Come visit again. Have a great start to your week!

Lois said...

What wonderful folks! I'm sure they will be very busy in the coming months. I'm going to go read about that Sandhill crane now!