March 18, 2012

Roosting

SDP 3-18-12
Eddie the bald eagle landed atop this utility pole with his dinner right in the city limits.   I think he was there for exactly 3.2 seconds -- just long enough for me to focus and squeeze off this shot -- when he suddenly noticed me. He seemed as surprised to see me as I was to see him. What a thrill!  Immediately, he picked up his meal (which the SDP staff has now determined to be some kind of rack of ribs) and flew down to the next pole about 40-50 yards away, where he dined in peace for awhile. Next up: Eddie's family!  

8 comments:

Lorraine said...

These eagle photos are soooo awesome! Does anyone else realize these gorgeous birds are there? In the CITY??? Here in PA they're only seen in the wilderness, if at all. And the ones here are all brown. These close encounters must leave you breathless!

Kathy said...

A rack of ribs? And whose grill did he steal those from? Tee-hee!

Lowell said...

This is a superb shot of Eddie. Now, if you crop out the wire in Photoshop, you've got a picture worth framing and hanging. I can see him looking at you ... probably wondering if he can carry you! :-)

Birdman said...

Don't get in the middle of this bird and 'dinner'. Ha!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Wow, so close, what a thrill, so much for my theory about Henrietta then haha!
That's my Pentax sitting there SRQ, I've had a Pentax from right back when we ere in the film era.

Michelle said...

He looks quite serious!

cieldequimper said...

Prime ribs for dinner, lol... Fantastic shots both (I mean yesterday's and today's!)

Jack said...

I took some pictures of two eagles a week ago, but they were so far away they are worthless. Congrats on yours. They have an extraordinarily alert and intelligent look, don't they?