March 17, 2012

In-Flight Surprise

SDP 3-17-12
As I snapped photos of Eddie lugging his mysterious catch, I figured he would head up to his nearby nest where his mate, who I've nicknamed Edwina, was roosting. Nope. Instead, he did the opposite. He lowered his altitude and banked to the left -- toward me. I knew this was going to be an urban wildlife encounter like no other. He was approximately 10 yards away when I took this shot of him maneuvering his way over a utility line with the mangled mess still in his talons. I've had some remarkable wildlife encounters, but this was the most amazing one ever above water. Actually, I'm surprised any photos turned out, I was so excited. The species, proximity, urban atmosphere and the sheer unexpectedness of it all combined to make it so awesome. I'm still not 100 percent sure what Eddie was carrying, but the best I can determine is that it was a very large gnawed up fish.  Editor's Update: SDP's visiting Assistant to the Junior Editor speculates the mystery item is carrion.  Additional Update:  The Junior Editor concurs and believes it's "a rack of ribs".  More tomorrow on where he took his meal.

7 comments:

Lowell said...

This quite an incredible encounter! Lucky you! And it's a beauty of a photo!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Unbelievable experience SRQ, I should imagine at such close range, his wing span would have been very impressive. I wonder if he saw you and thought you might be some sort of threat! Don't tell me he took the 'meal' back to Henrietta and that she's a 'floozy' with two males on the go!!

Jim Klenke said...

So clear, almost like hes stopped in mid flight for the picture.

I'll root for MSU if they get past the Billikens tomorrow. I grew up in StL so I have to root for them

Michelle said...

This is so awesome! Love this!

Jack said...

This is an exciting catch. I'm impressed that you could focus and aim and keep still enough to get the picture so well. Congrats!

Genie -- Paris and Beyond said...

This is one of those "clench your teeth and click" moments, knowing that you will only get one shot. If you are like me, the moment has already passed before your brain can register the feeling!

This is spectacular and you executed in the crucial micro-second to get this wonderful photo. I do wonder if it was as exciting for him as it was for you.

Bises,
Genie

Unknown said...

Oh, FABULOUS capture! Well done!!