March 2, 2012

Happy Couple

SDP  3-2-12
Unfortunately this photo is washed out because I was shooting almost directly into the sun.  (These birds  are really testing my photography skills!)  I decided to post it anyway since I'm documenting the behavior of these red shouldered hawks nesting at Urfer Family Park in Sarasota.  After observing Henrietta, perched high in her nest protecting her eggs, for quite awhile late Sunday afternoon, I started to wonder about her absent mate.  Where was he?  What was he doing?  Did he tell her he was picking up some carry out for dinner with the intention of never returning to his responsibilities?  As these thoughts swirled around my head, I heard a distinct hawk call.  It must be Henry!  Henrietta heard it too.   She snapped her head up and became so alert, it was incredible to witness.  Henry landed about 40-yards away in this dead tree and a moment later, Henrietta joined him.  (Henrietta is on the left; Henry on the right)  Henry, as it turns out, appears to be a rather good provider.  He returned with dinner.  What do nesting red shouldered hawks eat?  I'll show you tomorrow. (Nothing too graphic...but, you may not want to read about it over breakfast.)

7 comments:

Lorraine said...

I can tell that you've become quite attached to these two already. Wait until the eggs hatch. You'll be camping out there. :)

Kathy said...

Oh, the wayward husband returns!

Lowell said...

Very cool post! As I recall, these birds mate for life. I'll look forward to tomorrow's culinary post.

Re those cameras you spoke of...for the most part they're purchased with DHS money which is supposed to fight "terrorism." The DHS is one of the biggest boondoggles in history.

The other day at our mall I was taking a picture when a wimpy little rent-a-cop came running over with a brochure open to point out to me that I couldn't take pictures in the mall - since 9/11 such a thing has been prohibited by DHS and one never knows when a 75-year old grey-haired terrorist might be taking pictures of a sign that says "WhatsupOcala"! Sheesh! The bad guys have won!

Halcyon said...

They're so beautiful. I'm loving all your shots of them, even with a washed-out sky.

Michelle said...

Kathy's comment cracked me up!

Jack said...

SRQ, I am enjoying my lessons in hawk domestic life. Keep 'em coming.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

I cheated SRQ, I'm a bit late catching up and had a quick look first haha! Love this bird drama unfolding before your very eyes! I'm like you in that I find birds and their nesting habits fascinating.