March 19, 2012

Meet the Eddies

SDP 3-19-12
Eddie has a mate, Edwina, and two eaglets -- collectively known to the SDP staff as Eddie and the Juniors. Bald eagles mate for life and both are responsible for taking care of the nest and the little ones. Apparently, the only way to discern the female from the male is that the female is slightly larger with a longer beak. Since I have no intention on getting close enough to tell them apart, they're interchangeably called Eddie. A few blog friends have commented on the substantial size of the Eddies' nest. I've learned that an eagle's nest can stretch 5 to 9 feet in diameter and weigh as much as 2 tons -- wow! Also, baby eagles are born black and their head and tail feathers turn white as they mature into adults. In this photo, only one eaglet is sitting up and is flanked by his parents roosting on their cell tower. I've noticed that when mom and dad leave, the kids behave like typical juveniles. They test their boundaries by craning their heads high out of the nest, look for trouble and stretch their wings. It's rather amusing to watch.

11 comments:

Lorraine said...

Look at how Mama and Papa are looking over their kingdom, protecting their baby. And what a big baby it is too! That nest is unbelievable. I hope the cell tower company doesn't plan to relocate this family.

Jim Klenke said...

even the baby looks big, I'm liking this series.

Jim Klenke said...

Oh I guess good job by MSU. :-/

Ernie said...

I always feel sorry for the poor guys who need to work on these cell towers after the eagles move in. :(

Dina J said...

Great shot of the family! That baby will be flying soon. Keep us posted if you get to see him flying around.

Meghan said...

This has been such an interesting story to follow. I had no idea the nests were that heavy!

Michelle said...

I have only seen their massive nests on the internet and television, but would love to see one in person. Great family photo!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Amusing AND fascinating I should think SRQ. I love this shot with the two parents guarding over the nest..and the nest, blimey that is a lot of weight! You've done such a great job of following these two families, I know I'm hooked!

Lowell said...

I had no idea that an eagle's nest could be so huge! That could put a strain on a city's infrastructure!

Re: your comment about highway evangelism: People in Europe are generally much more reticent to share their religious feelings. Believers feel their beliefs are a private thing and have less of a need to try to convert the world.

Unknown said...

Oh, I love that you have captured this! How cool!

cieldequimper said...

Kids will be kids... :-)