March 15, 2012

Confession

SDP  3-15-12
Truth be told, I've been holding out. I had an amazing wildlife encounter late last week, but I haven't posted the photos because I haven't had time to go through them and figure out what to post and what to write.  You may recall, back in January, I was keeping an eye on a bald eagle which lives near me.  At the time,  I posted these pictures.  Since then, many days on the way to work, I've seen him sunbathing in the vicinity all alone.  I figured he was a bachelor enjoying a trendy urban lifestyle.  Last Friday night, from two blocks away, I spotted him sitting high up on his cell tower perch, so I decided to swing by for a closer look.  And I'm glad I did.   Eddie is no bachelor.  I'm pleased to report he has a mate -- and a family! It's all very exciting.  (By the way, I haven't forgotten about Henry and Henrietta. I just haven't had the time to check on them. Soon, though!) In this shot, Eddie is taking off for an evening flight over Sarasota after delivering dinner. Isn't he beautiful? The SDP staff had no intention of launching another bird series so soon, but as Editor-in-Chief, I figure it would be dereliction of duty if we didn't.  Let the eagles soar!

10 comments:

Lorraine said...

What an awesome sight! And look at the size of that nest! Wow!

Lowell said...

My comment seems to have been lost, so I'll just say that I'm happy to meet Eddie and hope to see more of him and his family in the coming days!

Jim Klenke said...

Nice catch, that nest is huge. I hope they dont want to do any work on that tower anytime soon.

Dina J said...

Great catch! It's always amazing to see them fly by. Too bad most of them nest in cell towers instead of trees now.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Gosh two eagle nests SRQ, well spotted.It really is amazing when you see how big their nests are, Looking forward to catching up with henry and Henrietta soon.

cieldequimper said...

I hope you'll show us the missus and baby...

Kathy said...

Looking forward to the next installment! Our national bird is certainly a magnificent creature.

Michelle said...

You MUST share some shots of the family!

Jack said...

What a cool discovery! Is cell phone coverage spotty in Sarasota now that the eagle family has moved in?

Halcyon said...

This is fantastic! What a sight!!