April 22, 2011

Handsome Hawk

This handsome creature, perched atop a fencepost near the celery fields, is a red shouldered hawk.   I drove by it and thought, "hawk".  A millisecond later, after my brain registered "hawk!", I quickly turned around.  I was pretty far away and was quite excited to snap this shot without disturbing it, even as I set up my tripod.  Within seconds it was gone.  You know what ended up scaring it away?  A pesky little crow.   It buzzed by a few times and finally the hawk decided it wanted some peace, and took off.  

8 comments:

Jim Klenke said...

i love the color, cool shot.

Kathy said...

You sure must assemble a tripod with lightning speed!

Lorraine said...

Awesome! We had a hawk family near us one year and it was thrilling to watch them, hear them and photograph them. Unfortunately they moved on and never came back, but every spring we listen for their return.

Ernie said...

Something really cool about a hawk on a fencepost. I always try to stop when I see one, but they are rarely there when I get back.

Dina said...

Great composition. Love the hawk on the post.

James Mark said...

Another good bird shot. I don't do enough turning round.

Jack said...

I was walking with the fam in a conservation area today and there was a robust discussion among us non-birders about whether hawks were all blackish or were also light gray (like the bird that just swooped past us). QED.

Michelle said...

A nice capture of this guy. I see them on our farm, but still haven't gotten a shot yet!