April 17, 2011

Eastern Meadowlark

I had the best time observing this adorable little meadowlark in eastern Sarasota County.  I stopped to watch a sandhill crane near a field of cows when I noticed two little yellow-bellied birds hopping around the meadow.  After a few minutes, I realized one was calling to the other which was holding something in its beak (see above)  -- dinner!  As hard as I tried, I couldn't make out what it was, but it was quite large, perhaps a dragonfly or cricket, definitely significant enough to feed a meadowlark family of four for sure.  (Enlarge photo for a better view.)  This bird had no intention of dropping that meal.  With it clutched tightly in its beak, it hopped and hopped, and popped its head up over the grass repeatedly, looking for its mate who was chirping and chirping.  I finally left because I thought I may have been upsetting the little hunter, even though I was a good distance away.  By the way, I identified this cutie when I got home and consulted my 'Birds of Florida' guide book.  My first meadowlark sighting!

9 comments:

Kathy said...

Yum-yum. Cool photo, nice narrative.

Lorraine said...

What a beautiful bird! That yellow looks great against the green grass. He (or she) looks very concerned about getting that treat to the family.

Birdman said...

Uplifting post today, a little is a lot sometimes.

Jack said...

I like this one, SRQ. I can just imagine the little guy trying to tweet for his mates while not losing his grip on his dinner.

Lowell said...

Very nice. And the moral is just exactly what your mother taught you: don't talk with your mouth full!

Michelle said...

What a sweet little guy.

Jim Klenke said...

wow, good catch and photo.

Lois said...

Congratulations on the sighting! I love that book.

James Mark said...

A little beauty.