May 31, 2011

Pineland Post Office

SDP 5-31-11
I've always enjoyed finding little post offices in the U.S. This one is located in Pineland (population approximately 585) on Pine Island, a pleasant day trip south of Sarasota. The Pine Island Chamber of Commerce describes it as one of the smallest post offices in the world. The lobby, I discovered, is open 24 hours a day -- and it's a gem! There's a single window where stamps etc. are sold, and hundreds of classic gold plated post office boxes where residents pick up their mail. One well known resident here is author Randy Wayne White (try to say that name out loud three times fast without sounding like Elmer Fudd!) who writes novels based in the Sanibel area, just south of here. I'm finishing "Deep Shadow" right now and it's a page turner. Check out other itty bitty post offices I've discovered by clicking here.

5 comments:

cieldequimper said...

That's very sweet. Makes me want to work at a Post Office!

Lorraine said...

That's adorable! Looks like the kind of place hubby and I want to live in when we retire. :)

Jim Klenke said...

Looks so tropical. Did you have a fruity drink in your hand when walking around?

Michelle said...

Might be the most beautiful post office I have ever seen.

Birdman said...

I agree with you. Some of them are gems in the rough.