February 10, 2011

Photography 101: Portrait

For my final photography class, my assignment this week was to shoot a portrait.  Most people, I suppose, interpret portrait as a full frame face shot.  But, my take on it leans more toward photojournalism and showing someone in their element.  When I saw this guy, Harry Brown, riding his bicycle down Orange Avenue, I was driving to an appointment and didn't have much time to spare.  So, I kept going.  But, gosh, he was so captivating with his old bike, basket, flashlight, spectacles, toothpick and cowboy hat.  I glanced in the rearview mirror and saw he was still heading in my direction.  So, I pulled over and hopped out, camera in hand, just as he cruised up.  He was happy to spend a few minutes posing for me.   I learned he lives in North Sarasota, served in the Army during Vietnam and has a passion to start his own church.    God bless you, Harry.

8 comments:

Jocie Z ROCK said...

wow God bless him!!! what a shot, go J go!

cieldequimper said...

The toothpick does it for me!

Kathy said...

I'd say this was an A+ portrait. It immediately grabs our interest and then tells us a lot about the subject while leaving questions for further exploration.

Michelle said...

What a great shot! I also love the toothpick.

Leslie D. said...

Fantastic! Reminds me that everyone's story is fascinating in some unique way.

Lois said...

Glad you took the time to get his portrait because it's wonderful! I just love the flashlight.

Lorraine said...

I love how you are developing a real "relationship" with your community. I don't know that I would have the courage to walk up to strangers and ask to take their photo, especially folks like Harry that people perhaps would not notice, or maybe even turn away from. I hope you get an "A" on this one! :)

Jack said...

Good for you, SRQ. The committee is thinking about adding you to the very small list of CDP bloggers who take pix of people and actually have the courage to speak with their subjects!