August 16, 2010

Sloggin' 'Round the Slough

This is a portion of the Red Bug Slough hiking trail in Sarasota.  With all the wetlands here, Florida really isn't conducive for walking trails, so it's nice to have this one nestled on 72 acres.  And, believe it or not, it's right in an urban area.  The park was purchased in 2000 through Sarasota County's program to protect environmentally sensitive land.  Lots of wildlife call the area home.   A slough, I've learned, is a creek that runs through a marsh.

6 comments:

Leslie D. said...

Beautiful scene. I never knew what "slough" meant eventhough we have a well known one here so thanks for that too..

Kate said...

It's a very inviting path, one I would like to follow.

cieldequimper said...

It's nice to know that all over the world Nature is left to its own devices, even in unlikely places. Must be a really nice haven!

Birdman said...

A creek through a marsh... hard to comprehend.

Jim Klenke said...

what type of snakes call that place home?

Kathy said...

I don't think I'd venture too far off the beaten path! Having grown up in bayou country I know what could be lurking in the grass.