November 1, 2015

Theme Day: Ephemeral

SDP 11-1-15
This month's theme day in the City Photo Daily world is 'ephemeral'.  I've had more than my fair share of ephemeral experiences with birds while trying to photograph them in the wild. I offer this experience. Yesterday afternoon (before I was even aware of today's theme day), I encountered a red shouldered hawk roosting on a tree branch at Sarasota National Cemetery (one of my new favorite places for birding -- more on that later).  Not satisfied with the lighting, I thought, 'If I can somehow maneuver to a better location before he flies away…' 

SDP 11-1-15

Then -- **whoosh!** -- he was gone!  It happened so quickly, I thought I had completely missed the moment.  To me, birds -- especially birds of prey -- give new meaning to 'ephemeral'.  I think in the medical world, ephemeral is used to describe something that lasts one day.  I can only imagine birds sitting and posing for me for an entire day!  Thanks to my blogger friend Kay at Sequim Daily Photo who suggested this challenging theme day. To see other interpretations click here.

12 comments:

Stuart said...

Those are both wonderful shots! Getting that 2nd one was an amazing feat.

Nancy J said...

What a moment, well done to be there and capture those wings in flight.

cieldequimper said...

Wow. That second shot is fantastic!

Merisi said...

Wow, that was a fine get-away shot!

Wishing you lots of birds that hang around, in the best possible light,
Merisi

William Kendall said...

That second shot is a stunner!

LOLfromPasa said...

Fabulous shots. Super post for today's theme.

Jack said...

Wasn't it nice of him to come right at you? I know the name red shouldered hawk, but I probably would not recognize one in the wild.

Michelle said...

I love that second shot!

Kay said...

Perfect choice for theme day! These are magnificent shots - great shots of the hawk and the moss is really interesting, too. That second shot even manages to catch the light on its tail. Bravo!

Kathy said...

Good choice for theme day.

Brian King said...

Fantastic!

Unknown said...

Sarasota Daily Photo has been included in our Sites To See #457. Be assured that we hope this helps to point many new visitors in your directions.
http://asthecrackerheadcrumbles.blogspot.com/2015/11/sites-to-see-457.html