November 11, 2015

Standing Sentinel

SDP 11-11-15
Standing 4 feet high, the sandhill crane is one tall bird.  So, when this one popped its head up, suddenly towering over the rows of tombstones at Sarasota National Cemetery and gazing into the distance, it was a sight to behold. It really looked as though this regal crane was standing sentinel over the many men and women resting here who served our country.  Before I clicked the shutter, I knew this would be my Veterans Day post.  I'll be attending the annual Veterans Day parade today in downtown Sarasota taking in the patriotic scene along Main Street and expressing my appreciation to our military veterans.  If you have the opportunity, I hope you take a moment to thank a veteran for their service and sacrifices.  It's important to remember our freedoms aren't free. 

10 comments:

Nancy J said...

Beautiful, and what a great choice for the sentinel to be standing there this day.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Very timely pop up SRQ :) lovely image for today.

Kate said...

It is a strong image of life among the many tombstones.

LOLfromPasa said...

What a photo opportunity. Brilliant! And, yes, I will.

Kathy said...

What a great photo. I love these tall birds with their red caps.

William Kendall said...

It really stands out well amid the tombstones. I took in our national service and the war museum as well yesterday, and yes, I did thank veterans and soldiers.

Brian King said...

Wow! What an awesome photo! Something like that wouldn't happen often.

Kay said...

Amazing photo! Very nice post for Veteran's Day.

cieldequimper said...

Amazing shot!

Jack said...

I missed this post before. Excellent!