September 29, 2011

LED Retrofit

SDP  9-29-11
All 98 street lights lining the Ringling Bridge were retrofitted this week with light emitting diode (LED) technology.  The new lights are 55 watts, as opposed to the old ones which were 205 watts, and are supposed to generate the same amount of light for drivers and pedestrians. When I took this photo it was one of the nicest evenings we've had in months: cool, with a breeze blowing off the bay. So, the bridge was bustling with walkers, runners, bicyclists, rollerbladers -- you name it. Rather than showing a packed bridge, though, I preferred this lone figure walking at dusk just as the street lights turned on.  By the way, if you're wondering how a city can afford such a project during these tough economic times, it was funded with a federal energy grant.

5 comments:

Jack said...

It will be interesting to see how this project works out. High initial capital cost, low operating cost. I hope the lights are a success.

Dr. Moxie Awesome said...

Nice shot. I like the lone figure. I think showing a bustling bride would make the photo far too 'busy'. Pretty neat about the lights as well.

Lowell said...

Ah the damned federal government! Seems like lots of folks hate it until they need or want it. And in a disaster, FEMA suddenly becomes a friend to all!

You have captured well the sense of a "nice" evening!

Virginia said...

I love the composition here and the sky is stunning. I think those lamps remind me of antennae! :)
V

Choppography said...

I tend to gravitate towards minimalist photography. Here, you've certainly caught my eye. Great backdrop with a single dominating feature. I love it!

Chip
http://throughmyeyes-choppography.blogspot.com/