November 12, 2017

Veterans Day Parade


The annual Veterans Day parade was held yesterday morning in downtown Sarasota.  Very patriotic with thousands coming out to thank veterans for serving our country.  As I snapped this photo on Main Street, it struck me...

 This could have been a scene from the '50s.  What do you think?

Lots of ROTC cadets marched in the parade.

Always love to see the parade goers proudly waving the American flag.

And, so nice to see the younger generation paying tribute to our vets.


The topper for the morning's event was....a military flyover!  Two F-16s from Homestead Air Reserve roared over the ceremony.  Awesome!  Thanks to all the veterans.



5 comments:

Bill said...

Giving thanks and remembering is always important. Some great photos of the Veterans Day parade. I agree, the b&w photo could fit in to the 50s and even 60s. When I first saw it, I did think of the 60s probably because of the car.

William Kendall said...

Yes, the black and white treatment could have easily come out of that era.

Kay said...

Yes! The black and white definitely puts the first photo back into the 50s. I like the little tyke in front.

Nancy J said...

Flags, one little chap, the driver with an arm on the door, definitely could so well be in the past. A lot of comments, that so many younger ones are attending parades and ceremonies. Down here, on our Anzac Day in April, there are so many young people, grandchildren, young married couples, teenagers, in his last year at High School, as a prefect, our grandson attended the Dawn Service in Rotorua. He felt it was so important to be there.

Lowell said...

This is nice...I didn't know Sarasota put on such a grand parade...and isn't there a big military base just south of Tampa, McDill? That's probably where the flyover originated. I love that b&w shot, as that reminds me of my childhood and WWII and Korea. I was just a bit too young for WWII and was in high school during Korea but went into the Navy in 1955. Navy photographers did a lot of b&w film work in those days.