April 29, 2017

Jumpin' Mullet

Sarasota Sunset
Sunset on Sarasota Bay last night.  Lots of mullet were jumping!  And, believe it or not, by chance I captured one on camera.  Just as I pressed the shutter, this guy soared out of the water right into my shot.  Look at that form and height!  For those wondering why mullet jump, the entire SDP research team looked into that very question.  While there are many theories, the bottom line is...no one knows.  Maybe they're just having fun and taking in the scenery.

7 comments:

Nancy J said...

He just wanted to be in the lens!!! Super reflection.

Andy said...

Mullets also have research teams investigating why humans jump into the water. They are also baffled.
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Lowell said...

That was one of my fun activities when our kids were young and we took them fishing in south Texas. Lots of mullets jumping. Do you eat mullet? Not me. But some folks do. Great shot, too!

William Kendall said...

I can't recall ever hearing of fish called mullets.

Lois said...

Nice shot. When I was a kid, that's what we called "mullet on the beach"! Time to go get the cast net and a zinc tub to put the fish in. My grandfather was really good at casting and we always had fun picking up the mullet when he emptied his net on the sand.

Kay said...

Lucky you! A sight-seeing mullet! He - and you - certainly caught a beautiful sunset.

Bill said...

I never heard of mullets and I love fish. What a stunning sunset you captured. Excellent shots!