June 18, 2016

Whistling Ducks

Black-Bellied Whistling Duck
It's been one thing after another for the past several weeks.  After enduring a very long, emotional week in connection with the horrific terrorist attack in Orlando, I wanted nothing more than to seek solitude last night.  And…I found it!  The week before the mass shooting, Tropical Storm Colin breezed by and dumped 10+ inches of rain in some parts of Sarasota.  Portions of Myakka River State Park are still flooded, and as a result, I pretty much had the place to myself.  The resident animals are seeking dry territory and their behavior seems a little out of sorts.  I spotted these two black-bellied whistling ducks sitting on a wood fence near the flooded river. They kept inching along the fence and looking down, as if they were disgusted by the smelly flood water -- and that was the last place they wanted to stick their little webbed feet. Hope everyone in the blogosphere has been doing well!

6 comments:

Bill said...

What a wonderful image! They do look like they're surveying what's ahead.

Lowell said...

A super shot! Look like twins and certainly must be contemplating something! Do they actually whistle?

Brian King said...

Such cool and, yet, goofy looking ducks! I love how they will perch on just about anything!

William Kendall said...

One of the other bloggers I follow has these ducks as residents at her ranch, regularly perched on fencelines around a pond.

Kay said...

Beautiful ducks! I don't think I've seen these before. Very nice shot!
I hope you're doing better. Florida has taken a real beating lately.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

It has been a terrible time lately SRQ, I did hear about your shocking floods on the news and of course the Orlando tragedy was horrific. I know exactly how you feel about needing quiet solitude at times, the world seems to be going a bit crazy! I do love your gorgeous image here, thank goodness for nature around us!