February 14, 2016

Grackle?

SDP 2-14-16 This bird was making so much noise calling to another similar bird nearby, I felt compelled to photograph it.  Now, the question is:  Is it a common grackle? Boat-tailed grackle? Fish crow? Or…perhaps an American crow? So many possibilities! 

Based on the color throughout the body, I strongly suspect it's a grackle. So, with that narrowed down, I consulted my trusty Birds of Florida field guide. It says the boat-tailed grackle is more common than the common grackle (how about that for a misnomer?!) and the boat-tailed is described as a "noisy bird".  Two reasons to think it's a boat-tailed.  Also, apparently boat-taileds north of Gainesville, Florida have yellow eyes….and those elsewhere in Florida have brown eyes.  If you look closely, you can see this guy has a brown eye -- and Sarasota is south of Gainesville.  Check.  Gosh, this bird identification stuff can get tricky!  Perhaps if I get the chance, I'll consult with someone at the Audubon visitor center at the celery fields, where I spotted this guy. In the meantime, I'm going with boat-tailed grackle.  Unless someone thinks differently.  

8 comments:

William Kendall said...

It is a pretty bird. I wonder if we've got them around here. I've certainly heard the term grackle used before.

Brian King said...

My bet is on one of the grackle species. It's too small for a crow and the beak is too skinny. Common grackles are what we typically see around here and they're very noisy in the spring.

Kate said...

Since you have done all the research, I'll defer to your analysis. Noisy but looks great.

Michelle said...

I have no doubt you are correct in your analysis!

Lois said...

I think you are right. From your picture, I can tell it was making some noise!

LOLfromPasa said...

It is a super shot.

Kay said...

My grackle knowledge is limited to the ones I've seen in the desert and they're very different than this one. I'd bet an Audubon person could ID it pronto.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

It sure is a tricky business SRQ. Does the shape and length of his beak not help?