February 9, 2013

Spooky


Some bloggers in the CDP world have talked about how a mistake ended up becoming a photo they liked enough to post.  I wouldn't categorize this shot as a mistake as much as an experiment which came out oddly interesting.  Recently, when I was visiting Myakka State Park, I saw the location where a group of wild boar crossed the road from the woods into marshland.  So, the next time I was there I returned to that same location after dark, set up my tripod and put my camera on the 'bulb' setting.  Then, I patiently waited fully expecting the piggies to trundle across the road right in front of my camera and... *click*...it would be a fabulous photo.  Well, my patience quickly transitioned into annoyance as I swatted at mosquitoes and transitioned further into mild boredom.  To occupy the time, I tested my shot by randomly pointing the camera down the road.  It was completely dark with no lights on the park road whatsoever, so I really couldn't see what I was focused on.  Then, I pressed the shutter.  *ta-dah!*  Pretty cool.  The winding road gives it a mysterious feel while the dangling Spanish moss adds a creepy element.  (Although, not a wild boar in sight.)

By the way, for those who expressed concern about the safety of the SDP staff as we attempt to photograph the wild pigs -- thanks!  I have a tremendous respect for nature.  Having survived a riot, two near-death scuba diving adventures, a bloody tangle with a 100 pound pitbull that was attacking my Mulligan, a battle with breast cancer and 20 years in the news business...I'm ready to take on the park piggies at a prudent distance.  Oink!

9 comments:

cieldequimper said...

Loool! How long did you wait? It looks like a scene from Criminal Minds!

SFlaGuy said...

I've been in Alaska and watched people chase down a bear and get too close to a baby moose as its mother crashed out of the woods. I usually hang back a bit and let my lens get in close. Some people think wild animals are straight from a theme park. (And I knew I was right about you).

SFlaGuy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kathy said...

Our feral hogs in Texas are known to be quite vicious and will actually charge humans. I don't ever want to meet one close up!

Kay said...

No shot's worth putting yourself in danger, though it sounds as if you have a good troop of guardian angels. Overworked, but guardians nonetheless.

Lowell said...

Well, you are brave, but about your smarts I'm not too sure. Oy ve!

You did get a good picture, though. And yes, it is spooky! I can hear that deadly silence that permeates the forest at night.

Jack said...

You're a fighter, SRQ.

LONDONLULU said...

Wonderful capture, it really gave me a few shivery chills up the spine:) (And I loved your last paragraph!)

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Oh yes, anything could appear around that corner, creeeeeepy!!