August 16, 2016

Myakka Charm

SDP 8-16-16
As many times as I've visited Myakka River State Park, I've never been canoeing here. Probably because:  a) I'm not an overly proficient canoeist;  b) there are gators in that water (which leads back to point a.)   With my northern upbringing, I still think the most dangerous thing that should be living in a river is a pike.  So, knowing these are gator infested waters, I continue to have a healthy respect for Mother Nature. (I've canoed at Oscar Scherrer State Park, which also is located in Sarasota. But, that area doesn't attract the gators like Myakka. Myakka, literally, is a breeding ground for alligators.) That being said, as you can see by the number of canoes, lots of people are interested in paddling around the river here. (The people who really concern me are the fishermen who wade waist deep into the water. What are they thinking?!)  By the way, there's a small 3-foot gator just off shore and out of sight in this photo -- the same one that was featured yesterday.   And, I bet you'll find one at the end of that rainbow! 

4 comments:

Lowell said...

The gators won't hurt you so long as you stay out of the water and they're not hungry. And they only eat once a month! Go canoe. Do, do, do! You'll have fun, too!

Love the rainbow.

William Kendall said...

I think the gators would give me pause in this situation.

Bill said...

I have the utmost respect for gators. I've never seen one and I definitely wouldn't go anywhere near where they hang out. I read recently there was a woman in Florida who picked up a can she dropped in the water and a gator got hold of her hand. I do hope she'll be alright.

Nancy J said...

I wouldn't put a toe in there. and even if they guaranteed a pot of gold, having to pass the gators first, I would give that a miss as well. Lovely serene setting.